Year-Round Employment Opportunities
Position Description: Responsible for writing and updating content for the Rosamond Gifford Zoo at Burnet Park and Friends of the Zoo. Writes engaging content for zoo websites, blogs, newsletters and promotional materials; and news releases to accurately promote the zoo and its mission; ensures that all zoo external communications are accurate and timely. Employment pending criminal and driver history records. Part time: 25 hours per week, Monday – Friday.
Responsible to: Director of Marketing and Communications
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensures written communications are consistent and aligned with the brand and mission the Rosamond Gifford Zoo and the Friends of the Rosamond Gifford Zoo.
- Drafts compelling and engaging written materials and/or content for a variety of communication vehicles such as press releases and media-related requests, presentations, blogs, zoo websites and print publications such as the annual report, member magazine and brochures. Writes and proofs promotional copy and materials; researches information on featured animals, zoo programs and initiatives as needed.
- Under the supervision of the Marketing and Communications Director, updates the annual communications calendar to include press releases and opportunities for coverage, education programming and events. Prioritizes communications activities with year-round perspective. Consults with Marketing and Communications to ensure strategies, meet goals and messaging priorities.
- Collaborates with all departments including Development, Education, Animal Collection Managers and Curator, to identify new storytelling topics and messaging opportunities for external communications. Consults with Marketing, Zoo and Friends leadership to ensure these meet organizational goals and messaging.
- Assists with internal communications to keep staff informed; reviews and assists departments with external constituent communications to ensure accuracy.
- Tracks, collects and reports digital news, newspaper and magazine articles promoting the zoo.
Desired Training and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications, with a minimum of five years of public relations or communication experience, or any equivalent combination, which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs, especially Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Familiarity with website content management systems (CMS).
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work; must be able to remain on feet for extended periods of time; must be able to lift, carry weights of 25 pounds.
Skills / Knowledge Required:
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading skills are essential, including the ability to present concepts verbally.
- Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Must be able to handle interruptions and juggle day-to-day activities.
- Superior project management and time management skills.
- A wide degree of creativity and the ability to recognize and seize an opportunity.
- Self-starter with a positive and processional approach that can collaborate with others, but also take direction.
- Able to gracefully navigate a complex organization that has a multi-layer approval process.
- Maintains a valid driver’s license. Travels within and outside CNY as needed.
To Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume via email to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.